I use a couple of different video converter applications on my Mac, dependant on the piece of work that needs to be completed. One of those is Wondershare Video Converter Pro and I have to say that I'm still extremely pleased with the performance it offers.
Some of the key tasks I use it for include:
- Converting wmv files to MP4
- Sharing converted files directly to YouTube (currently testing and working a treat)
- Converting DVD's for use with my Plex Pass
- Trimming home videos and combining them into feature length movies
- Importing subtitles using a piece of software called Movie Captioner
It's a really good application - solid, reliable and frequently updated. I recommend it.
You can download a demo here