My workflow for Task Management has taken a bit of a new direction over the last few months or so. I’m not putting everything into Omnifocus anymore. There are some things that are simply better suited to another style of application, which is why I’ve started playing with some Kanban alternatives, namely Trello and Zenkit.
If I have a project that has a number of recurring steps (for example, creating a series of videos), this is much better suited to a Kanban board, with a centralised task sitting in OmniFocus telling me that today, I’m going to be working on this project. In that task is a link to the Trello/Kanban board that I’m working on.
I’m also using these boards for capturing ideas and moving them to maturity. Which booksdo I need to buy/read/am I reading? A board system is great because I can move the book title card as I purchase/read/start reading accordingly. I can tag the books with author names to keep a record if I wish. What apps do I want to perfect? Are there new TV Programmes or films that I want to buy/watch? Games, Gift Ideas - these boards really help me with projects that always follow the same template.
As lots of ideas go into these boards, I need to be able to capture efficiently, so that’s why I’m going to show you how I use Drafts on iOS to process these ideas and send them to the Trello.
1 - Get your Board ID
Each Trello board has a unique Board ID. The easiest way I have found to locate this ID is to:
- Navigate to the Web Interface of the board
- Click on More Settings
- You will see a box named Link To This Board and within is a URL. The Board ID is the character string that follows http://trello.com/b/. Make a note of this Board ID.
- Obviously if you wish to use Drafts to post to other boards too, each will have a unique Board ID so these will need to be collected.
2 - Configure Drafts
For the purposes of this walkthrough, I am using Drafts 5 however the process is very similar for Drafts 4.
- Within Drafts, go to the list of current actions and click on the + button in the bottom right hand corner. Select Add New Action
- On the next screen, name the action appropriately, click Steps and then + again.
- On the Step Type screen, scroll down to Callback URL.
- On the Callback URL page, copy the following text into the Template box, substituting BOARDID with the ID you captured earlier.
- Go back to the main Drafts page and type your text.
- In the Actions list, click on your newly created action and the text should go to Trello. Also, as we have defined the success parameter within the callback-url to go back to Drafts when completed, so it doesn’t keep you in an application you don’t want to use right now.
- Repeat this for as many boards as you need to add to.
I love the fact that I don’t have one central inbox anymore for all of these ideas and I can send them directly to the correct board with one touch. They stay in the left-most list until I’m ready to process and this works really well for me.
I hope this helps - feel free to comment with how you automate this kind of idea capture with Drafts/Trello/Omnifocus or any Task Manager of your choosing! We’re always happy to hear your thoughts.